Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Dine Out? I'm in.

Before Best Coast last night at The Neptune, Mr. Two Drinks and I stopped at Cedar's Restaurant in the U.

Don't tell me you don't know Mr. Two Drinks

Delicious



Deliciousher





Seated instantly, we were served quickly and well tended until it came time to get a box and get moving. It was getting busy, but, you know. I complain. Oh, but the food...
Against my better judgement, I passed over the highly-recommended garlic naan for the mint naan. Refreshing, its cooling powers were appreciated next to the 3* heat in our Butter Chicken. Close in flavor to a tikka masala, the butter keeps surprising you. Occasionally putting down your fork is recommended, (per usual) to better appreciate the absence of any acidity. "Creamy" doesn't really do this dish justice. Let's say, in a whisper, silky. Silky, with chicken. 
I can't say much for the iced chai other than I wished I'd ordered it hot, because their was a strange flavor I like to think was from the ice. Bill tried it, decided it was heavy on the anise, so I decided to love it. Ah, the power of suggestion, and anise. His mango lassi was delicious, precisely creamy (no whisper needed), and blended with rose water. Purr.

This past weekend Bianca came through, inspiring me to go beyond the usual egg breakfast. We whipped up a quick Dutch Baby and Fritatta with tea and fruit.


No you whip it.




 Dutch Baby in a buttery cast iron skillet

  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
  • 1 pinch ground nutmeg
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar for dusting
Preheat skillet, buttered, in a 475 degree oven
Mix ingredients and add to hot skillet
Lower heat to 425 and bake 12 min or until puffy>>>
Dust with powdered sugar and serve


Fritatta Loaf  

3 eggs
A handful of whatever veggies you have, chopped (I sauteed some creminis and shallots ahead of time)
1/2 cup shredded cheese
Fresh herbs (Oregano, basil, parsley are all easy, approachable breakfast herbs)
1 T melted butter

Heat butter in loaf pan in oven

Toss vegetables in melted butter, add 3 beaten eggs, shredded cheese and fresh chopped herbs to a loaf pan
Bake 15 min at 425, allow to cool slightly.

Serve on hearty, buttered toast. 


Nom of the week

I'll carry you around like an infant, Juanita,
and hold you close.
No, it's not butter. It's my girl Juanita. We discovered Juanita and her magic bag of chips a few weeks ago, and have been stocking our pantry ever since.When a bag runs low, nothing feels quite so right as buying a new bag. Sure, they're gluten free. But that's pretty irrelevant. They're also bullshit free. These chips are the end of every other chip. Forever. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been dreaming about mango lassi for weeks. And this dutch baby situation seems promising. Miss you!