Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Winter Bites

Oh, hi! I know it's been a spell, but I've just finished a solid month of power yoga and it seemed to have relieved that pesky urge to blog. Not that I haven't been dining and whining, but it's become more of a dine, whine/yawn/stretch/breathe through it approach.
It seems like ages ago that we danced, begrudged and sloshed our way through the snow that covered our fair city, but toward the slippery end of that storm I remember enjoying a fine hot dog. My buddy Jeff and I fought our way through rain and slush to the Pacific Inn Pub to savor their local brews and divey charms. Their menu is really quite inviting, somehow making you believe that your booth was put there just for you and a basket of fish and chips to take it to the next level. Obscured by darkness and fueled by the joint's "whatever" factor, a bartender came by our table and talked me through my indecision, and in short order we were served dogs with slaw and pickles, a likely pairing with our frosty pints. Go for the atmosphere, the tv, or, whatever.

On a cold Saturday morning when the wind was up and the tide was high, Bill and I made our way to Heartland Cafe, the local everyman of diners. We walked in, took a booth and ordered their highly celebrated cheese curds. With a mustard/beer/cheese/dream dip it's easy to say ...hmm, Valentine's Day.... What a great day to devour a box of cheese curds in bed!



When Sunday comes, there's always a little part of me that wants to stay in bed, dreaming of breakfast feasts and lazing away the hours of precious daylight. Then something snaps and my brain cries "you're a phototropic animal with dwindling stores of vitamins and you're sculpting heinous bed sores!" So I take a moment to gently panic and gingerly convince myself that I'll have a lovely time strolling through the farmers' market if only I'd get up and get dressed.
Bring your own crumbs, or buy some
new ones at the Junction Farmers' Market

On a really good Sunday, I can even get Bill to go. This time, before I knew it I'd blown $5 on a really spectacular pop tart by Hot Cakes Confections, filled with dark sweet cherries, figs and fennel, thinking somehow I was investing in something savory. Hot Cakes is sporting take & bake gluten free, vegan & molten chocolate cake pots right now, which are a little wet for my palate, but seem to be garnering some positive attention.We couldn't eat much more than half of our pocket pie, as things were getting a little too sweet by that point, and lunch seemed to be a much more sensible idea.








Making beautiful music together at Taqueria Guaymas
We were wandering through an alley when we decided tacos would be rad, and found ourselves serendipitously facing the back door to Taqueria Guaymas. This spot reeled me in with their festive decor, painted tables & benches and an accomplished salsa bar with spicy pickled carrots, fresh radish and plenty of salsas to choose from. Take a gander at my fish taco (meh on fish strength but muah for fresh flavors) and my asada taco with beans and fresh fresh pico (muah, muah muah! mas musicas!)


Dine of the week


A haphazard walk through the Pike Place Market got me hungry for more than the usual bag of sweet, playful Daily Dozen Doughnuts (more on those much later). I had a few bucks in my pocket and gave them all to the Saffron Spice counter for a vegetable samosa. Simple in its execution and fierce in its tasty elegance, samosas are hard to complain about anywhere you go. Dreamy masalas and soft, steamy vegetables, basically the most sturdy combinations in Indian cuisine. It was the perfect snack to walk around with, but I took a moment to find a little sun to sit in and enjoy my pocket of warmth. It's not fancy, but should definitely be included in your circuit of finger foods while perusing the market.

1 comment:

Sara Pierce said...

I've never had cheese curds but have always wanted to try them and that photo makes me want them even more!!!