Saturday, December 10, 2011

Dine of the week - Veggie Stew

I'm not famous for consistency, but here's something I really do want to implement weekly: The Dine/Whine of the week.
This Friday, after a long shift at the popcorn factory, (but didn't you know I've taken on seasonal, hair-net-required work?) I came home to a dark apartment with 1. A hungry man 2. an unlit, dormant Christmas tree and 3. a bounty of veggies. I set to work. "Baby, run out to the street and find some rosemary." ("No, wait, where? how am I supposed to see? what if I get hurt?" et al. until the door closed.

Lucky readers will find their very own
handiwork in our tree!
No prizes offered at this time.
I plugged in my tannenbaum to reveal it's gently-twinkling majesty and filled my nose with its woodsy bouquet. Revived, I headed to the kitchen, (and so should you, ) for it was time for veggie stew!

 Please, share in the magic. Here's your grocery list:
1 zucchini, coined and halved
1 yellow summer squash, coined and halved
1 medium onion, chopped
1 stem fresh rosemary (from the street or your unwitting neighbor's garden), stemmed and minced
3 cloves crushed garlic
1 pint cremini (or button, if you must) mushrooms, sliced
1 large can of stewed tomatoes, in puree
1 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper to taste
a crust of bread, rubbed with garlic and toasted




1. Gently saute the mushrooms in 2 tbl olive oil until tender, add the onion, fry 1 minute, add the garlic, fry 1 minute, season with course salt, fresh ground pepper and cumin, then dump the rest in and bring to a boil. (Add a half cup of water if it's looking a little thick,) and let simmer 10 minutes. Toast up your bread and prepare to sail away on this hearty, simple ship. Serves 2.
Let's break this Dine of the Week down. From 1-10, with 1 being deplorable and 10 being downright distracting for its fabulousness. For ingredients: 10 (most are readily on hand, cheap or free. Especially if rosemary grows on your street.) Effort: 10 (quick, easy, can be prepared while delirious, inebriated or otherwise decommissioned, and clean up's a snap!) This quick, fragrant, flavorful, off the chain recipe came to me back in our NYC days, when we had a pot luck and Daniel Diamond brought this dish to our attention, just before he was never seen again. Thanks, Dan.
This pic brought to you by the nick of time.

No comments: